"Cycling is the next best thing to flying." - Lou after descending Grizzly Peak. "And I love flying! I'm just not very good at it." - Mike
I really like Lou's quote! I hadn't really thought of it this way, but have to agree. Under the right conditions, cycling really can be like flying! Well, although my mileage is going well and riding is always fun, nothing too earth-shattering has happened in my cycling life lately. But since my last entry was so long ago, I decided to just drop in a few short stories anyway. Enjoy!
Climbing South Park to set a record. Some guy set out to climb 100,000 feet in less than 48 hours this weekend and chose South Park Drive in Tilden Park to do so! It's one of our toughest climbs around....up and down for two days straight. Nutcase? Turns out he broke the record of 94,000 feet, but didn't quite make the whole 100,000 feet....only 95,623 feet. Slacker. Check these two links out.
https://www.strava.com/activities/365791484/overview
http://www.albertnet.us/2015/08/new-cycling-world-record-set-in-berkeley.html?spref=fb&m=1
Watching the Tour de France. Dopers or Scenery? Which wins the day? That's the question. The Tour has always held my interest and this year was no different. The beautiful scenery, the most important stage race of the year, the fitness of the guys. But yes, there is the constant speculation and mistrust (post-Armstrong era) of anyone who performs well. I try not to worry about what I can't change, so I just enjoy the scenery and hope to get back to riding in France again sometime soon. Not quite as fast, but with all the history and highlights!
Connecticut Rides. It's always fun to get away and ride some different roads. Spending a week in CT with borrowed bikes let us do just that in late July / early August! We got a few rides in and around Mystic, as well as one with friends from Deep River. Great weather there this time of year, but too bad it doesn't last very long.
![]() |
| Dean's Mill Rd., Mystic, CT |
Pics on Strava. I've recently had the ability to post pics along with rides on strava. Dangerous! I don't want to get sucked into doing this for every ride, but it does have its advantages.
Is Jeff Obsessed? So my friend Jeff has been doing sprint triathlons this summer. And doing quite well, I might add! A few 2nd places, some no podiums, but also at least one first place!! The hills around here help him get an edge on other racers. So good for him! I hope he doesn't "crash and burn", as sometimes happens. He's transitioning from sprints all the way to an Ironman, so I hope that works out ok for him. I'm a little worried he'll overextend (heading to an ironman), but it's his life. Good luck!
Thinking a little about Dirt. I'm thinking I might like to get one of these to enjoy road AND dirt. (A "Diverge".....what an appropriate name!) Maybe someday soon?
Lanterne Rouge -The Last Man in the Tour de France. This is a great new book describing an embarrassing, but apparently also prestigious place to be....last man in the Tour de France! It's like the caboose with a red light (a laterne rouge) hanging from its rear end! It can happen each day, and at one time guys would fight for it as part of a competition. This got attention from sponsors and fans, but embarrassed the race organizers. So they began eliminating the laterne rouge each day so people wouldn't fight for it. But that rule has been changed...no more eliminations. I guess it ain't only about winning. And if you're going to be "off-the-back", you may as well be all the way at the back! Here are a few quotes listed in the book which caught my attention.
Success, especially your own, is not a good subject. Failure is. (Tim Krabbé)
I'd rather finish shattered and last having attacked a hundred times than finish 25th without having tried. (Jacky Durand)
I can't ride fast. I can't climb. I can't sprint....I'm a complete roadman. A Tour Man, therefore. (Roger Chaussabel, 1956 Laterne Rouge)
![]() |
| Lanterne Rouge Jacky Durand taunting Monsieur Armstrong in 1999 |




No comments:
Post a Comment