Here we are at the cusp of a new year and it's not quite how I had envisioned ending my 2018 cycling calendar! I was pretty much on track to get my second year of cycling 10,000 miles, when I had the bike crash of my life. Spoiler alert.....I'll be back! But this is a bittersweet way to end the year. Most of us Northern California cyclists were cut short of riding opportunities for a couple of weeks due to bad smoke from the November fires up in Paradise. Granted, this inconvenience was small when compared to the plight of those poor folks. But after the air (literally) cleared, I was excited to get back on the bike and shoot for that distance goal. And then it happened November 28th.
Here's a short version. I broke my pelvis when I fell on a wet corner descending Wildcat Canyon Road in Berkeley. I had ridden this road for 30+ years with no incidents. 1000 times? Maybe! But this time, my front wheel disappeared out from under me and I hit the deck hard with my left hip before I had a chance to react. The doctor said it was as if my (uninjured) femur acted like a pile driver into my pelvis. Crack! A buddy, Dave B was with me and said it didn't appear that I had been going that fast. Residual water? Maybe oil? Loose gravel? I never hit my head, but don't remember anything that tossed me on the ground. Except for gravity. And I wasn't getting up on my own. So, off I went to the hospital in an ambulance for 9 days to repair my pelvis with a stainless steel strap and 7 screws. With this hardware and time, I'll hopefully be able to return to full strength over the coming months.
As the new year comes, it's been almost 4 weeks since the surgery and about halfway to when I can walk without crutches. They say only low weight bearing (20%) for 8 weeks to allow for the healing to occur. It's not a matter of my pre-accident fitness, but the time that it takes for bones to heal. So, patience is what I need!
Good news is that I seem to be healing at a quick pace. I've had some in-house PT and they've recently allowed me to start spinning on a bike trainer and rowing some on the erg machine. And that was only 3 weeks post-surgery and before I can walk. So, that's got to help speed up my healing. If there is a silver lining to this challenge, it's that I've been very fortunate in many ways. Friends have come out of the woodwork to visit, call, offer help and words of encouragement. My wife has been there every step of the way, helping me do things I couldn't do myself and she's doing everything (I mean EVERYTHING) around the house, since I'm useless with my immobility. And the surgeon (a cyclist!) is well respected and all of the other health care folks have been very knowledgeable and helpful. I'm home and hobbling around with some dexterity, if those two words can be used in the same sentence! So I'm thankful for that. We've got two big cycling events in the late spring and early summer of 2019 (Santa Barbara and Spain) and I don't intend to miss them! I've got these goals and will find the motivation to get back to where I was before. And maybe next year, I'll have another 10,000 mile year!
Ok, so that's where we are right now. No more tears. I had originally intended to write about how health issues seem so bright for cyclists. At our age, they are a constant topic of conversation, no matter the demographic. We often puff our chests about how we cyclists are the healthiest subpopulation. Are we realistic? Or just as subject to afflictions like others?
I tend to think we're better off, but certainly not immune. The truth is somewhere in the middle. There are plenty of cases for cyclists of parts "wearing out" and heart issues arising that might result from overuse or just plain pushing too hard, like A-fib. But I also often recall a story about John, the head of my old cycling club back in CT who was still riding at the age of 72. That used to seem so old, but it's getting close for me! And it seems so common for older guys to be riding nowadays. Maybe cycling can add 10-15 years of healthy days compared to sedentary folks? I recall a comment from a guy in FL (Carl) about "old people" He said "when riding down here, watch out for those old people". I asked how old is old? He said he was 78 and still riding 180 miles/wk. So much older than him! It's all relative, right?
I'm certainly slowing down with age, but cycling is my addiction, my drug, my fun. Even with the occasional back, foot or pelvis issue, I'm not filling the pill box like so many 60+ year old folks. I'd rather be taking the time to ride my bike than fill that weekly dispenser.
Bottom line - Keep riding, have fun, stay healthy. Keep everything in moderation. And of course, keep the rubber side down! I had some great rides this past year, mixing it up with the Moots on both the dirt and the pavement, riding lots of miles and feeling a bit invincible, as least as far as distance (not speed!). I had great fun riding to Morro Bay in February with Mark and Bill, riding 184 miles of dirt on the C&O TowPath in April, on the Memorial Day Ride to Santa Barbara in May, riding with Frank and John down to San Simeon, and numerous 50-100 mile rides. I'm grateful to have been that healthy. I did end the year prematurely and on crutches, but still had 8815 miles, so that ain't bad! Right now while healing, it's mentally tough to look outside on a sunny day and not be able to go enjoy it on the Moots. But I know it's a temporary condition.....I'll be back soon and hopefully as healthy as ever.
Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment