Sunday, February 9, 2020

Have Travel, Will Bike....even if you have to rent it!

Maybe someday you'll reach the moon!

First off, I should say that as far as cycling is concerned, I'm fully healed from November 2018's pelvis crunch crash.  It took me off the bike for 3 months, but I'm back in my happy place riding most days.  And if you include my trainer time, I clocked over 8400 miles for 2019.   I'm feeling good about that!

Back to this entry.  After doing a two day ride with a small pack in DC in 2018, I made a mental note (pseudo resolution) to try and do at least one special ride every month, including some that were overnight with the pack.  Big bike trips were fine too!  But aiming for the occasional small overnight trip seemed attainable.  Well, that didn't quite pan out in 2019.  But it's always fun to try and squeeze in some sort of a ride when on a vacation.  Better yet, it's fun to take a cycling vacation!  I had some pretty good success doing this in 2019.  I had some other good ones too, like the Berkeley to Davis ride, the Napa Century (80 mile version) and an "almost around the Bay" ride with Steve (83 miles).  Here is a quick summary of some of my away-from-home rides for last year.

- Solvang (a few days of spring riding with Caryn, Dan, Lauren and Jeff)
- Washington, DC (took the Moots and cruised around for a week)
- Florida (used my "Florida based" orange Trek while visiting family)
- Memorial Day Ride to Santa Barbara (4 days on what's turned out to be the final "official" MDR)
- Spain (Hard Core Cycling trip in northern Spain...a story by itself!)
- France (a few borrowed bikes for a few miles in Bordeaux)
- Monterey to Avila Beach (overnight trip with John and Frank)
- Santa Rosa to Stewarts Point & return (using SMART train to get to Santa Rosa with Mark)
- Connecticut Trip (with the Moots)
- Boston (OK, not much.  But I borrowed Rachel's bike and discovered some Arlington trails.)

A MILESTONE!

It all started after graduating from college in 1979.  After hitting 40 years of riding in 2019 and having had some big mileage post-retirement years, I got the urge to add up my lifetime cycling mileage.  Well, at least get a good estimate!  I've been writing down my rides for years, long before strava existed.  I'm only missing the first year (1979) and give an estimate of 1000 miles for that 6 month period after getting my first bike for graduation (Motobecane Mirage).   So, from the stats below, I come up with 245,770 miles in those 40 years (actually 40.5 years).  It's actually a bit more with recent trainer time for my late 2018 surgery recovery.  It's looking like I've ridden more than enough to get past the moon, which is about 238,900 miles from Earth.  Here's to doubling that and getting home! (~500k miles).



Year 
Miles  
Year 
Miles  
Year 
Miles  
Year 
Miles  








1979
1000






1980
1900
1990
7497
2000
5482
2010
6029
1981
2423
1991
7683
2001
4646
2011
6028
1982
2000
1992
6151
2002
5596
2012
6681
1983
3193
1993
6345
2003
5523
2013
7696 
(strava - 7831.4)
1984
5904
1994
5530
2004
6275
2014
6094 
(strava - 6196.2)
1985
6305
1995
4170
2005
5814
2015
7606 
(strava - 7612.2)
1986
5600
1996
6041
2006
6019
2016
8489 
(strava - 8504.7)
1987
6877
1997
6060
2007
6276
2017
10093 
(strava - 10105.1)
1988
8283
1998
5501
2008
6010
2018
8933 
(strava - 8816)
1989
6833
1999
5420
2009
5449
2019
7830 
(strava - 8410.9,  
~600 miles on trainer)



No comments:

Post a Comment