Sunday, October 4, 2015

Three Memorable Rides = A New Post!

I've been keeping up the pace, even as the sun starts to set earlier every day.  I even hit 6000 miles for the year (Oct 3) with almost 3 months to go!  In the recent past, I'd be happy with this mileage at the end of the year.  Let's see where I end up by New Years!

So, are any of these miles memorable??  It's up to you to decide, but I've got a few rides where I'd say the answer is yes!  You can find the routes on strava, but here's a quick summary of three of them.

1. Strade Bumpi and More (Finally took the dirt over Montara Mountain. Epic-ness! With Steve S. and the "other" Mike G.)
https://www.strava.com/activities/395891571

I've been wanting to do parts of this ride for a few years now. The existing road heading south on Highway 1 from Pacifica to Montara is pretty epic by itself. A new tunnel - wide and safe for bikes - replaced the old road - Devil's Slide - a couple of years ago. The problem is the lead up to the tunnel and the road after it are pretty tight, windy and busy. Not fun for bikes. But the original road over this pass, Old San Pedro Mountain Road, is even more epic! It's about 3 miles up and 3 miles down, a combo of narrow bumpy pavement, smooth fire road dirt and some rutted, but passable segments. It was great! Two pals (Steve and Mike) headed out from San Francisco with the intention of making a big loop out of this route. We went over the pass, continued south and then climbed up Tunitas Creek Road (epic on its own by most standards) and then down into Woodside. With the thermometer hitting 100+ degrees, those guys were toast. But I had this urge to do the whole thing, so motored on as they descended to take BART back from near SFO. It took a 10 hour day of riding, but I did it! 109 miles later, I got back to San Francisco, feeling accomplished as well as a quite tired. I went through the equivalent of 9 water bottles, a couple of bananas and a big bag of gorp. And then it was back on BART to the East Bay. Zzzzzz.

Mike, Mike and Steve on Montara Mountain

Descent off Montara Mountain

Mike descending off Montara Mountain

Mike climbing up from Pacifica



2. Sometimes you pass right by the most interesting things every ride.....Not today! (Diverge into Canyon with Jules)
https://www.strava.com/activities/400869110


The second ride was fairly pedestrian, riding with Jules out to Peets in Danville. But on our return, we decided the standard roll through Canyon on Pinehurst Road needed a little bit of something extra. So, we ascended into the hillsides of this village. Short, but punchy 10-15% grades, neighbors all weedwacking the hillsides (seemed like EVERYONE was out doing winter storm prep cleanup), an old bearded guy resembling Dumbledore peeking out of a little trailer home, a house of papier mache, and views to die for. That's Canyon beyond the post office!


Mike on Canyon's "Redwood Highway".....15% or more....

VW at the top of the climb in Canyon

Papier mache house in Canyon



3. Berkeley to Davis - Recon of New Route over Benicia Bridge (with the Sephora Crew)
http://www.strava.com/activities/406609417


I've been leading rides from Berkeley to Davis for a few years now. They are getting a bit big and we've got one set for November 7th. But I just felt like doing one without the crowds.  So, today 2 friends and I did the "Davis Recon" ride! Why not???!!

Usually, it's the same route, going over one bridge in particular (the Carquinez Bridge). But this ride took another bridge (the Benicia Bridge) and some other scenic side roads. We lopped off about 6 miles, something Dave didn't like (let's go for 100!!), but change is good. The sun was out, the temps very favorable (60-80), but the winds were in our face a bit! Oh, I shouldn't complain, as my two buddies were both very tall and good to draft behind. We did our rest stop in Winters at Steady Eddie's Cafe and then got to Davis with about an hour before the train, so grabbed a pizza and beer and then a couple more beers for the train. Once on the train, Dave and I were both about to raise our plastic cups to a great ride, when up from behind us came the conductor! We chatted him up, attempting to take his mind off the illegal beer and said "we remember you from one of our other rides!" His retort: "I only remember people that I kick off the train." D'oh! But it all worked out fine. A great ride, a tasty beer and a smooth train ride back to Berkeley.  (PS  I love the beer bottle label with a shout out to George Clinton...."Free your mind and your ass will follow!")


We're heading to CT and Boston soon for a Fall visit and the Head of the Charles crew race!  Look for related strava posts.

Alhambra Valley Rd.

The Sephora Boys (Dave and Jason) heading into Davis

Words to live by...or drink beer by.



1 comment: